In a typical U.S. household, heating and cooling are the largest energy expense, accounting for about 56% of energy use. There are an array of technologies available for heating and cooling, all of which achieve different efficiency levels by different means. Your HVAC contractor should be able to give you energy fact sheets for different types, models and designs to help compare your energy usage.
When it comes to residential a/c, and hvac services, there are several easy ways to conserve energy in your home.
- Close the fresh air vent so that you are not cooling outside air.
- Close blinds in order to keep the sun from warming the inside of your home.
- Place the air conditioner in a north-facing or shaded window, as direct sunlight decreases efficiency.
- Avoid using the oven on exceptionally hot days.
- Remove and clean residential a/c filters monthly. Dirty filters reduce efficiency.
- Seal any holes in your home with caulk or spray foam.
- If your current air conditioner is more than 10 years old, consider an air conditioner replacement.
- Close blinds in order to retain heat at night or during unoccupied periods. Keep them open during the day to let light in.
- If possible, remove and store your air conditioner during the winter.
- If applicable, keep the fireplace damper closed when the fireplace is not in use.
- Set the thermostat as low as is comfortable in the winter.
- Clean furnace filters monthly.
- Replace old technology with newer, more efficient models.
These are only a few suggestions to help reduce your heating and cooling costs and reduce your energy bill, but if you are still concerned about energy efficiency, feel free to contact Estes Heating & Air Conditioning. Serving Alpharetta, Duluth and Peachtree City, Estes Heating & Air Conditioning has been voted the best a/c contractor by HVACR Contractor’s Weekly New Magazine. Experts in air conditioner repair, residential a/c, air conditioning service and air conditioner replacement, they have been Atlanta’s #1 HVAC company for over 60 years. For more information, please visit the Estes Website: http://www.estesair.com/